Friday, March 8, 2013


The Origin of the Second Part


It is definitely not the same to teach in the afternoon than to teach in the morning. I’m personally enjoying more this second period in which I’m supposed to teach in the morning because  both  students and the teacher are more alert and with more disposition; however, they may always occur unexpected situations. This morning, for instance, I got very early to my classroom and I noticed some of my students were talking outside the classroom, and I didn’t know that they were arguing until another student told me that both girls were crying.  Students seemed a little curious about the situation as they were getting into the classroom, just a few of them were early, so I decided to start preparing the material expecting  nothing terrible could  happen.


I pasted the agenda on the whiteboard, and I started the class with the few students that were there on time. The warm up I designed was called “give me good luck”, it consisted in having one student tell me a number and counting students until finding the lucky one according to the number mentioned. The lucky student was supposed to tell me what he/she remembered about the previous class. I did it like four times; then, I gave the students a page with the exercises my tutor had given me and I assigned them an appropriate time to work; after that, we checked them as a group and I solved all the doubts they had about the topic even though there were some I hadn’t considered. The last point in the agenda was a reading from the book, I took advantage of this part to check students’ pronunciation, to arise their participation and discussion, and  to clarify some vocabulary. They asked me for a word I have already checked but had forgotten in the moment, so I recognized I didn’t remember and took out my phone and checked it.


The students who were arguing outside never got into the classroom, but there were no more surprises; therefore, I can assure that nothing went wrong, yet I learned that next time I check vocabulary at home, I will keep it written so that I don’t have to take out my cell phone when teaching, in case I don’t remember.



3 comments:

  1. Jajajajaja yeah Julito, I heard that from you and it is kind of difficult to deal with those situations in the classroom. On the other hand, I think that is a chace for you as teacher to live in the middle of the situation and to think how would you handle if they were your real group of students....such a challenge isn´t it? Go ahead Julius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course it's a great challenge, especially because they never taught us to deal with them. Imagine us taking problematic students 1, hehe, but anyways we have to act professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course it's a great challenge, especially because they never taught us to deal with them. Imagine us taking problematic students 1, hehe, but anyways we have to act professionally.

    ReplyDelete