Saturday, February 9, 2013

Fronting my first experience

I had already gone through the experience of teaching kids and teenagers, but it was until this past February 9 that I had the privilige of teaching university students. I could notice the great difference when teaching those twenty five advanced 2 students. I taught them about FRONTING, so this entry is about how I fronted teaching fronting.

Everything started right after the short greeting I gave them, I developed a warm up which consisted of making 2 groups and sticking papers with target vocabulary on the whiteboard, I was supposed to read a definition and the first student to identify it was supposed to stand up and grab the word defined, the group with more words was the winner. I chose this warm up because in my observation I perceived that students seemed sleepy and bored, so I planned to activate their energy with my warm up; surprisingly, I saw how the group turned from really passive to kind of messy , that or the fact that it is an advaced group might be the reason for which the teacher does not develop this kind of activities as they even tried to trick me, but I still think that they are necessary no matter the case. I fronted their attitude directing it to my objective and in the end we all had fun.

After that, I started my prezi presentation which I invite you to check out:
http://prezi.com/t8ztdvzl9jy2/julios-first-teaching-practicum/  
It was really motivating to watch most of the students colaborating; however, I still regret I could not notice that some students were not paying attention and that affected my grade. I think it was because I was really concentrated on explaining well the grammar points and pronouncing accurately all the words, but I am planning to be more aware of my students next time.

The practice time came, and everything seemed all right. Students were doing well in the exercises I gave them in a separate page, but I had to finish before the time because the teacher asked me to give them some time due to the reading comprehension exam they were to have.

In the end,  I found out that I should be aware of the students all the time, that I like teaching grammar, and that teaching fronting to university students is the easiest practicum I have fronted.

 

9 comments:

  1. For your experience, I could see it was kind of hard to manage this group. But even though it wasn't what you expected, now you know the activities you can and can't develop with them. Since it was the first time teaching, I guess everybody wanted to make a good impression, and this as you said, distracted you from some other areas you needed to cover.
    Let's take it as a learning experience.
    I bet you will do a better job next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for using prezi in your teaching...!!! I really love that technological tool, it's just really different from what people is used to see..!!! Congratulations Julito.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elizabet, and yes I will work so that next time I xan improve the disxipline in the classroom. I think that is not that I had a hard time, it's juat that I didn't notice that some students were distracted, and my tutor did notice it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Julio. After reading the entry on your blog, I began to think,that it is a bit difficult to cover every angle of a class,notwithstanding we always try to do our best. What I can say is that this teaching practice leads us to value other teacher´s work.
    Also, having access to the comments of our classmates is trascendendental ,because they emerge from the experiences of each of them.
    Another point that catches my attention is that you tried to accomplish your goal, and what is best, you had fun a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course mr. Boteo this opportunity gives us the chance to value all the aspects of teaching. I, for instance, learned that students attention is essential.

      Delete
  5. As Mr Boteo told you, it is difficult to cover every angle of a class. We as Students know it well, because it doesn't matter the methology that any teacher uses, we always find a way to get distract or bored.
    I know that it was such a busy or energetic time after the TPR, I agree with you that those activities are necessaries, but I guess that as a warm up maybe are not he best you can develope.

    It is nice that fronting was an easy topic for you, because for me was one of the most challenging. Congratulations Julito and keep on doing as great as now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have an interesting point there Marvin. That warm up was not the best idea. Thanks for your comment. I'll keep on working towards improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some people do not like to teach grammar but this is not your case because you discovered that you like and you feel comfortable.
    As you said in your comment sometimes is kind of difficult to manage the group and it affects your grade, but as time passes we are going to get more experience to know how to deal with this situations

    ReplyDelete