Wednesday, May 8, 2013

There is a new entry where there are many new experiences

I had the chance to develop the topic there is/there are this time. I tried to connect the warm up with the Unit 9 (The House) by making a game in which students were to identify, run, and grab the corresponding item of the house. It was a 2 groups competition that helped me to start with the practice I was supposed to develop. 

The following point in the agenda included some exercises from the handout and one from the book, all of these exercises were written, so I took a lot of time to explain, help, and check them. It’s incredible the time that basic students take to solve something that for us would take like five minutes.
 

Since my tutor asked me to develop an oral activity, I designed my own.  I asked them to get in pairs in order  to sit back to back; then, I gave one of each pair a picture, and the other one just a sheet of paper. I had the student who had the picture describe to his partner the images using the target grammar, and I noticed while I was monitoring that they did pretty well. There is a great experience when you achieve meaningful learning, I believe my students did. Here's the picture I used.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. July!
    I see you are doing a pretty nice job! Congratulations about that!
    I am teaching to a Basic group too, and I agree when you said that they take a lot of time to solve an activity that it can be simple for us, but that is part of the process; they are still in the fisrt stage of all this long journey, which also helps me to realized how much we have advanced in regard with the knowledge of English language.
    Most of the times, Basic’s students are very young and they like TPR activities or games like those that you included in your class. On the other hand, they don't like to speak because it's difficult for them, but you got it through a fun activity. So, "You nailed it July!":p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi man!! seems you did a very complete job, I was with this group of students and they are very hyperactive, though they like to participate. We have to take into account when teaching basic learners because they are starting new experience in the way they are taught, anyway that is why we are here, to teach future proffesionals! Good job Julio!!

    ReplyDelete